Tuesday, January 27, 2009

August 14th 2008, First Day of Chemo

Moments before chemo.Carrie and Peter surprised me. We walked into the restaurant and there they were. Shoyei pulled the surprise off completely. So sweet!

I'm sitting in my lounge chair listening to "Smooth Jazz", a very relaxing atmosphere considering all things. I'm hooked up to an IV receiving something to prevent nausea from the cocktail to come whose ingredients I'm looking at. There is a bag of clear stuff and a giant syringe of something resembling cranberry juice. H'ors d'uerve choices abound to accompany libations(cheese and crackers, peanuts.)It's a real nice place.
Shoyei was a bit nervous as we approached but my "let's get on with it attitude" did not acknowledge this slight falter. My wonderful husband. One of the evident gifts of this trial. A loyal companion for the journey. I lean on his arm as he scans the horizon prepared to defend any foe. "I look to the hills where does my help come from".

Streams in the Desert today left me bubbling over with joy again. God is my ever present help. John 19:11 "you would have no power over me if not given you from above".

The clear liquid is coursing through my veins now seeking out the cancer cells. I don't feel any different. Yet.
Tina Turner is belting out a song "What's love got to do with it?" My toes are tapping out the rhythm as I answer her silently - "everything!"

A minor glitch. My vision is blurry, I'm dizzy and my tongue is numb. I think. The IV is stopped to watch me.

20 minutes go by. We try again without incident. Numb tongue? Man my imagination is out of control.

20 minutes go by. All OK. Time for the red stuff. I must now suck on a popsicle to shrink blood vessels and ward off mouth sores. Too graphic? Sorry.

No comments: