Wednesday, September 15, 2010

March 24, 2010 A New Beginning

Driving to Phoenix for a new me. Reconstruction starts today. What a different mindset I have compared to earlier surgeries. A part of me feels guilty that I am doing this selfish thing but the other part of me says "go girl". I am listening to the latter.

I am going to St. Joseph's Hospital - my favorite based on my recent experiences. And I will be in the care of my favorite doctor who has racked up additional experience in this procedure since we first discussed it 20 months ago. He will be taking my latissimus dorsi(back) muscle to create a new breast on my radiated side. Then both sides will get expanders. The surgery should take about three hours, the whole process about six months.

I am looking through those months now, to putting this whole thing behind me, as much as possible. Focusing on the other side of this.

Last night my husband took me to dinner. When we returned there was a message from my anasthesiologist tell me I could eat up until six hours before and drink water up to three hours. That's a big change from my experience and it's already made the day easier.

And I confess, I am looking forward to being cared for by my wonderful husband.

No comments: