Wednesday, September 15, 2010

April 13, 2010 Cruising Along

We are heading down to Phoenix to have my tube/drain removed. I am trying not to think too hard about it, the memory of the sensation of having a sword pulled out of my side. I remember it was about a count of ten and then it was over so that's what I'm planning on. However, I was "under the influence" of two Percocets back then. This time we've brought one along in case I need it afterwards. It's not that I'm trying to play the martyr, not at all. I simply despise the hangover feeling of Percocet.

I will be anxious to know if I can drive yet because that will spell freedom. And what kind of exercise I can do to get my strength back up. I tried to sleep on my side last night well supported by 8 pillows. But I awoke with deep pain in my left chest. I am clearly trying to push the envelope. So I will stay on my back a while longer.

****************************

We've left the doctor's. The tube removal was a very brief pain and I am so happy to be unplugged! I'm also glad I didn't take any Percocet to get through it. Dr. Mosharrafa, through his red allergy eyes said I "looked good". He seems pleased with his work.

However, I have been admonished to lay low for another week including no driving. No driving, freedom. One more week. I intend to be a model patient so I don't risk rejection again or any extra procedure to deal with fluid caused by too much activity. So.......it means more chair time, doing a lot of reading and online Scrabble and working on my writing. I have a feeling this will be a tough week on me and my husband.

I asked Dr. Mosharrafa about exercises but he said too soon. So I will wait and it will be hard.

One more week aboard Ship Shoyei. My husband calls out through the days his version of a bosun's whistle with a "Now hear this, now hear this, the ship's mess is now open for breakfast" or "closed until twelve hundred hours ". He's also found a way to make our tea kettle blow like a train whistle approaching a crossing. So I will close my eyes and imagine myself on a cruise or a trek to some exotic port, grateful for his never-dull companionship. Next stop...

No comments: