Wednesday, September 15, 2010

April 8, 2010 Classical Kahuna

Patience. Patience. I'm taking a deep breath. I guess the Lord knows I still need work in this department. I am anxious to be up and about which is sign that I am healing.

After two weeks of being cooped up together, even the best nurse and most compliant patient are bound to get on each other's nerves. I am invading my husband's territory. Normally I am away at my office and he works from the home office.

I suppose it was rude of me to turn his music down but it was blasting throughout the house. Okay, so who could tire of Beethoven? Me. So I'm a boor. I tire of the high drama of his "5th" shaking the artificial rafters of the living room. And so I arose, despite the discomfort of doing so, and slid the speaker controls down halfway in the hall and great room. My hard-of-hearing husband was in his office with his speakers happily blaring away.

An hour later when he had prepared lunch for us and sat down with me in the den, he asked "what happened to my music?" I told him, "I just turned it down a notch." At that, he stormed out with his plate, closing the door and turning the speakers back up.
Fine! I put on my earphones and plugged into my own music. I had to turn my volume. Higher than I like in order to drown out Rachmaninoff leaking in through the door.

Hours pass during which I receive no nursing. Not that I need anything but I've grown quite accustomed to the pampering. I open the door and realize not only is he not listening to Mozart presently playing through the rest of the house but he's turned his office speakers off and is listening to his homeboy Hawaiian music on his computer speakers. There are two different genres competing in the hallway! Da da da da and one paddle two paddle. "Is this intentional?" I mutter under my breath.

I storm back to my chair where somehow in the process of pausing and restarting Pandora(my online music), I have two different songs playing in my ear buds! I give up!

Time to deal with the problem, I shut my own music down completely and send an email two rooms away.

"Dear Nurse Ratchet:

I miss my husband and can't understand what you have done with him. Because I turned his music down? Right now I am sitting here subjected to a classical piece and a Hawaiian piece at the same time. If this is calculated torture, it is working.

Please return my sweet husband immediately.

I surrender!

Shut-in"

His hearty laughter was my response as he came in smiling and turned off the house speakers. Ah, blessed peace and quiet. It is so underrated.

No comments: