Wednesday, March 5, 2008

A Heavenly Lullaby

“He will quiet you with His love.” Zephaniah 3:17



When I was 9 or 10 years old, I used to try to frighten my little brother so he would let me hold and comfort him. The flying monkeys from the Wizard of Oz were particularly scary to him. I would just mention that they were coming for him and he’d jump right into my arms. That’s not how he remembers it but I swear it’s the absolute truth. Fortunately, that’s not how God the Father operates. But He is ready when our fears get the best of us.



It is the picture of a nurturing parent and a fretful child. When we can’t see the path ahead and begin to imagine what it might look like, can’t you just picture our Great Heavenly Father shushing us with words of comfort and affirmation? All is well. We are in His arms. He is protecting us now and will provide for us hence. After all, He knows what’s coming just as He knew what has passed before we did. If you keep your eyes upon Him, not upon your circumstances, you can climb into His lap and let Him “quiet you with His love”.

No comments: