Thursday, October 4, 2007

God's Perspective

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. Isaiah 55:8

Years ago we put our house up for sale in Missouri. It seemed a hopeless venture in a tough market. I knew my husband expected me to go back to work once we moved but I prayed - I'd pleaded with God - that I would be able to stay at home at least until my infant daughter started school. For 4 years we tried to sell our home. I was so tired of keeping our home ready for showings. My children's rooms were kept spotless as we stood ready to get out of the way of the realtors at a moment's notice. I prayed and prayed for that "right" buyer. I thought God had forgotten us. After nearly 5 years we sold our home.

When we finally made it to Prescott I enrolled in real estate school(which all those years on the market had prepared me for). I passed my class and as I awaited receipt of my license by mail, I prepared my daughter for kindergarten. My license finally arrived - dated August 22, 1981. My son's 10th birthday. My daughter's first day of school! God answered both of my prayers for the right buyer and that I stay with my children until they were both in school) according to His perfect timing. And one I hadn't thought to ask for. He prepared me with career training.

If we listen to the world we will hear: "we deserve a break", "we're worth it" and "just do it"! But the Word teaches that when we put ourselves aside, we get a glimpse of God's eternal plan. When we get the focus off ourselves- our trials, our failures, our suffering - when we remember "it's not about me" - the Holy Spirit becomes clearer and brighter. And not only are we buoyed by the joy and peace that replaces our self centeredness. But others are drawn to the hope that is in us.

Are you experiencing a trial? Is there a decision that's out of your control? Are you watching the suffering of a loved one? Have you experienced rejection? Have you lost your job? Are the bills piling up? Are you feeling discouraged? Do health issues have you feeling fearful? Take heart - God is still on His throne. There is nowhere where He is not. Whatever we face, He knows. He knows how this experience will be used for your good and His glory for those who know Him. Looking back, I am grateful that my ways are not His ways.

No comments: