Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Crisis

In the counseling training manual I am studying for my work at the Crisis Pregnancy Center, there is a depiction of two characters making up the word for "crisis" in Chinese. The first represents "danger" and the second "opportunity", literally translated "Opportunity Riding On A Dangerous Wind."

Presently there are two crises facing me, one more threatening than the other, both beyond my control. Mulling them over, I came across a devotional discussing the bible passage in Matthew 14 where Peter steps out of his boat responding to Jesus' command to "come". Rather than reaching for Jesus’ hand, he looks at the wind and begins to sink.

"You will not prevail by measuring the waves or grow strong by gauging the wind". (Streams in the Desert)

I can see I have been assessing the dangers rather than seeing the opportunities they present. And I am realizing that the only way to seize an opportunity in one hand is to have Jesus holding my other hand.

As my pastor reminded me, "Through God we will do valiantly, and it is He who shall tread down our adversaries." Psalm 108:13

No comments: