Friday, January 11, 2008

Comfort and the Great Physician

"Comfort, comfort my people, says your God" Isaiah 40:1

My heart is broken. I've lost a friend, a sister very dear to me. This morning I rose up early to meet with my Lord. I sought solace and wondered with expectation what Words He would have for me.

I have a page in my prayer journal I often look at where I have written many of His names. As I began calling on Him - I realized the names Comforter and Great Physician were not yet on this already full page. I added them.

Then, before going on in my prayer time, I opened my devotional - Streams in the Desert - and read this verse - "Comfort, comfort my people says your God." Tears sprang to my eyes and I smiled as I realized that this was indeed His word for me today. And as I wondered ..........my eyes moved down the page devouring the passage.......I came to the name Great Physician. I stopped, amazed at how close God really is to the hurting, the seeking. The very two names I'd recorded moments before jumped from the page! He is our Comforter and Great Physician indeed!

"They tell me love must bleed,
And friendship weep,
Ere in my deepest need
I touch that deep."

We suffer and learn His healing ways so we may comfort those we meet along this journey..........His people.

"Take heed to the ministry which thou hast received in the Lord, that thou fulfill it." Col 4:17

No comments: